A family photoshoot starring… your dog! My mother-in-law got professional pet photos for us as a gift. I wasn’t familiar with photoshoots for dogs, but was pleasantly surprised with the experience!
We worked with Charlie Nunn Photography in Los Angeles. They are two pros who have plenty of experience photographing pups – which was obvious from our encounter with them.
Here’s a peek at some of the snaps of us with our pooch, Nara:
Some tips for professional pet photos and how to work best with animals (I have experience from some work shoots as well):
- Make sure the animal is comfortable and calm. You can do this with a mix of treats and attention. To get Nara to remain calm in the shots where she was by herself, I stood near her but out of the shot.
- Get creative! Animals aren’t people. So knowing your limitations and having ideas in advance will help a lot.
- Come prepared. Take snacks and toys to help animate and liven up the shoot.
- Don’t get nervous. Animals pick up on your energy! So try to relax and enjoy the experience.
- Depending on the animal, avoid sudden movements. They’ll be dealing with a lot if the photographer is using a flash (also something to discuss with your photographer in advance if you’re concerned).
Lastly, take your time. Professional pet photos are something you can’t rush. You should definitely allot at least two hours if you want to get the most out of it.