While many of us aren’t physically traveling during a pandemic, that doesn’t mean we can’t get creative with our current surroundings. In fact, a few times during the pandemic my husband and I turned our living space into something different – making it feel as though we were somewhere new. We recently had a backyard staycation and it was exactly what we needed.
Here are some ideas if you’re looking for a vacation without physically going anywhere…
- Decorate the space to feel like a restaurant, bar or lounge. Try setting up a few spots, so you can feel as though you’re out on the town – hopping from place to place. If you don’t have a backyard, you can do this inside your home too. Even if your space is small – use a different corner for a different “restaurant.” Have dinner at one and dessert at another.
- Set up an outdoor movie theater. Not sure how to do that? Follow these steps.
- Get creative with games. Spread out your favorite games in different “zones.” You can have a chess zone, a ping pong zone, a Monopoly zone. Then spend the day in one or more zones, depending on how much time you have.
- Get lounge chairs and pretend you’re at the beach. If you don’t have a chair you can also throw down a towel. But grab sunglasses, a book and a drink for a day “at the beach.”
- Have a picnic or tea party. Create a special summer lunch or snack and take it outside.
- Decorate like you’re in another country. We celebrated my mom’s 65th birthday like we were in Italy. It was so much fun!
- Make it a camp day. Plan an itinerary of things you’d do at camp. And then do them!
- Go for a swim. If you don’t have a pool get a kiddie pool or a good old fashion slip ‘n’ slide.
- Have a water balloon fight. Is one ever too old for this?
- Cook something fun. Have a BBQ. But try cooking something you don’t usually cook to make the experience feel unique.
Those are some ideas for a backyard staycation, but comment below if you have others you want so share!