AirDrop is… magic. No, not really. But it can feel like magic! It lets you transfer files like photos, videos and contacts between Apple products like iPhones, Macs and iPads. All you have to do is click a button. It’s easy to use. So this is AirDrop and how to use it.
MORE: How to cancel subscriptions on an iPhone
- First, make sure the devices you’re sharing files between are close to one another. Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi for both devices.
- Make sure AirDrop is set on both devices to receive either from Contacts Only (if you’re in each other’s contacts) or from Everyone.
If you’re using an iPhone you can swipe on your home screen to access your icons and you’ll find it there:
Or go to Settings and then General. You will find it there.
On a Mac, you can search “AirDrop” and it should pop up in a new Finder Window.
MORE: Clean up your social media accounts
- Using it will depend on what you’re sharing, but overall you want to get to the point where you’re sending or sharing an item. So if you’re on a photo and click the share button you will see an option for AirDrop, for example.
- Once you click it you will see people you can share with. If the device you want to share with doesn’t appear, then go back and check the settings on both devices. Or try turning the devices on and off again.
- Whoever is receiving the AirDrop will have to accept it. If it’s a large file it may take time to send so be sure to leave the devices open. Don’t close the screens or don’t let the screens fall asleep. This may cause it to fail.
MORE: Sign up for media consulting services!
For more, check out this guide from Apple.