Read more about pregnancy and parenthood by searching “baby blog” on our site!
Having a newborn baby is a handful. I’ve never felt so busy, distracted and overwhelmed in my entire life. That’s why I compiled this list of items for a newborn that can help you!
Check my list out below or find it here along with other favorite items. I’m also adding recovery items that are great for helping you after you deliver the baby. Scroll to the bottom for more on that. P.S. This page may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure for more information.
MORE: Baby Blog: 8 pregnancy must-have items to make your life easier
- The Owlet Smart Sock measures oxygen and heart rate at night so you know the baby is safe while sleeping. I want to add a disclaimer it was in the news, so read more on that here first. They don’t have an app anymore so you’d have to pin this to your phone and you can make an app that way. Read more here if you have issues with WiFi.
- A camera with good audio.
- I love Little Sleepies for their simple outfits that are easy to put on (keyword: EASY) and cozy for the baby.
- Get a comfy rocking chair. Ours is a recliner and has a plug to charge electronics like our phones.
- Invest in a durable playmat for the floor. I also love this Lovevery play gym, which I put on top of it. The Lovevery play kits are also great.
- We created a changing table on top of a dresser. The peanut changer is a must-have for it. Stock it with diapers and diaper cream. Baby Aquaphor is also good for things like rashes.
- Get a wipe warmer with wipes.
- We got this stroller, and also got the Doona car seat which doubles as a stroller.
- The BabyBjörn bouncer with this toy will keep your baby entertained for a while.
- It’s nice to have Mylicon or BioGaia on hand if your baby has gas.
- Our doctor recommended giving the baby daily vitamin D drops.
- We like these pacifiers.
MORE: Baby Blog: The Snoo saved us
- Get a comfy breastfeeding pillow. I got two, one for my bedroom and one for our living room.
- Don’t skimp on a nice breast pump. I like Elvie, this one or this one. You may need an adjustment piece for your nipple, and you may want to use nipple butter. Make sure to keep your pump clean. I love this sterilizer and this sponge and soap.
- Not mandatory to get at first, but if you do pump you’ll want a bottle warmer and bottles.
- We got the Snoo which was a complete game-changer for us! You may want to get extra sheets and sleep sacks.
- Investing in sleep classes like Taking Cara Babies is a good idea.
- Get a good app to track baby feeds and naps.
- I put a pack ‘n play in our living room. Normally this is used as a portable crib for travel, but it worked really well to have a spot to put him down during the day (for sleep, but also to just hang out).
MORE: Sign up for media consulting services!
When it comes to delivery, you’ll want some items to help you recover if you have a vaginal birth. I made this basket in advance and kept it in my bathroom.
The hospital should give you some of these items too, but it’s nice to have more ready for when you get home.
Here’s what you’ll want: sitz bath and salts, perineal ice packs, cream and/or wipes, a peri bottle, Dermoplast spray and plenty of disposable underwear.
There you go! Those are all your must-have items for a newborn. Good luck and congratulations to you and your family!
DISCLAIMER: The information presented is not intended as advice and is for informational purposes only.
Support our blog!
Support our blog with a monthly donation!
Support our blog with a yearly donation!
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.DonateDonate monthlyDonate yearly