So you have a blog, but you want to know how to stay on schedule with running it along with the biggest question of all: how to make money. Here’s a daily blogging schedule that can help you with that goal.
Everyone has a different schedule based on what works for them. I recommend adjusting the advice below however you need in order to be able to make it happen.
MORE: How I became a journalism professor
The main things you’ll need to do to run a successful blog:
- Write and post quality content for your audience. This takes time because you will need to research, edit, find strong thumbnail images and perform SEO (search engine optimization).
- Create compelling graphics for your blog and social media accounts, including Pinterest pins and Instagram Stories. I like using Canva to do this.
- Grow your social media following by engaging with your audience and posting regularly. Create additional content like YouTube videos that can drive traffic to your blog as well as be embedded in your blog posts. Also, schedule social media posts ahead of time if you can on platforms like Facebook. I schedule my blog posts too.
- Market your blog and services. I often share links promoting my consulting services or share graphics and news about my products and shop. I spend time working on affiliate marketing posts too.
- Connect with brands and potential clients and affiliates. Look for sponsorship opportunities.
- Go through old posts to update outdated ones and complete other tasks like updating plugins or any backend needs for your site.
- Send out a newsletter.
- Follow and analyze your blog traffic analytics.
Keep this list and make sure you reference it weekly. Then you can break down how to accomplish each item day by day. I like to look at my list on Mondays and then spread it out throughout the week. So I may write all my posts on one day and then create my social media content on another day. You don’t have to do everything above every single day, but doing it weekly is important.
MORE: Blogging 101: Everything you need to know to be successful
In order to make money you need to strategize how you want to do that. Most bloggers make their money with things they sell like products, services or courses. You can also make money in other ways, such as affiliate marketing, sponsored posts and by adding ads to your site.
Here’s a breakdown of a daily blogging schedule:
Schedule time to do each of these things – write, create affiliate and sponsored posts, reply to emails and go through your checklist (above).
Depending on the day try writing for 1 hour, working on your social media and engaging with your audience for 1 hour and spending time on marketing and Pinterest for 30 minutes. Depending on your schedule, you’ll adjust this outline for what works best for you. Sometimes I write a few hours only one day and spend the other days on things like social media, newsletters and creating videos for YouTube.
MORE: Sign up for media consulting services!
Also, try to fit in time to research other blogs and network with brands and bloggers. Create courses or products to sell. Learn how to pitch to brands and companies.
Remember, you should prioritize your money-making ventures! But in order to drive traffic to your blog, posting regularly and engaging with your audience are key factors too.